Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hero as a Lover











My name is Laura Vaughn, I'm 30, and every choice I make is motivated by the love I have for God, for my family, and for my students. The closeness I feel with family has always meant the world to me and I don't know who I'd be if it weren't for the provisions of my dad, the love and care of my mom, and the friendship I share with my three older sisters.


When I come to a fork in the road, and I'm wondering which way to go, my decision inevitably comes down to: Can I stay near the ones I love? Can I please them? Can I take care of them? Can I do what I love? If the answer is ever a resounding "NO!" then I go a different direction. The most recent example I can think of is the decision I've made to quit teaching for a while and work from home so that I can raise my daughter. I cry nearly every day when I think of how much I will miss my students, miss teaching what I love, but the love for my daughter trumps all of my other desires. My family will have to make monetary sacrifices, and it will be so very strange and heart-wrenching to leave a school I love so much - not to teach, to close the door to my classroom one last and final time, to not hear the halls echo with the sound of energetic, young minds so full of potential, but leave I must. Because of the love of my Jane, I have to take a new road in life, branch out, and learn a new way of living.
My favorite things are hanging out with my family, watching movies, the Cowboys, Mavs, and Rangers, writing poems and short stories, drawing and painting. I love music of almost every kind; I am a proud Texan, a word nerd, and an old movie buff.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Vaughn the one on the list is my old blog that is not finished. This is the correct one. -Kelsey Schmitt

    ReplyDelete